Friday 21 November 2014

Micro Post; Quote of the Month

This months quote comes from my nightstand, or to be more precise "The book of five rings". It has nothing to do with "The Lord of the Rings" but everything to do with real life strategy for survival. It was written by legendary swordman and winner of many many life and death duels Miyamoto Mushashi. First time I read the book I was too young and inexperienced but every time I read it these days I learn something profound and new from the book. It will not suprisingly make an appearance in my reccomended reading series as well at some point;-)

The reason I choose this quote is that allthough he is strictly speaking about weapons it is a danger that many Taekwondoin faces in their studies and training. We rely so much upon the longest weapon on our body; the feet that we often neglect closer range weapons such as our arms, knees, elbows and grappling. Relying on one over the others and specialize is in my opinion not the worst thing that can happen. What is a real danger though is neglecting all other aspects so much that you are no longer able to use the other aspects. You often see this with "Taekwondo players" who are masterful kickers but once you get inside that range they no longer function as fighters. 




“You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter. Too much is the same as not enough. Without imitating anyone else, you should have as much weaponry as suits you.”

-Miyamoto Mushashi

2 comments:

  1. i have to confess that my favorite maxim/quote from that book, perhaps because it sound so simple, but is so hard to put into practice is "do nothing that is of no use"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Whole book is profound :-) I remember first time I read it. I think I must have been around 16 years old and I did not really understand very much of it. I have reread it at least once every year since then and I find that the more I understand of "real combat" the more I can take away from the book:-) It is a treasure trove of knowledge and I am deeply impressed by it. I have two different translations (so far) and I love both :-)

      Delete